8th September 2010
HOSPITAL
Yes I went to hospital today. I feel rather embarrassed about this as I was sick in the train station. My stomach began to clench a few stops before my get off point and when I left the train I broke into a hot and cold sweat. I had to sit down on the bench and then I was sick at the station. The train attendant came up and asked if I was all right to which I replied “I’m sick”. She called a medic, who called a doctor, who called an ambulance which resulted in me being sent to hospital. I expected to just sit it out and get on my way not to end up in hospital for just being sick. At least I know the system works well for the train; I was taken very good care of by all involved. Near San Ignacio a person was lying on the street next to the bus stop, he had a head wound and people were just walking past him. I was taken to a private hospital by ambulance. During this ride I tried to call school to tell them I wasn’t coming. They called the President of the Chapter who came to the hospital to be with me which was really nice. I also called my host father who believe it or not was leaving for Mexico today, and my host mother was also sick in bed for the second day with fever and vomiting too. What a mess! The doctor at the hospital asked me if I spoke Spanish I said a little, I asked if he spoke English and he said a little. In truth, his English was much better than my Spanish. The doctor said that what he knows of English is from watching TV – I found that really interesting. He said that he only knows attacking words from action movies. He still made himself clear in English. The nurse had kids that went to the school so that was a little embarrassing as well. We got through the examination ok between my Spanish and his English. This made me realize that one of the things that I want to do when I get back to NZ classes is teach practical skills. I know that the different curriculum levels for languages focus on survival etc but I didn’t have enough to cope with this situation except to say that my stomach hurt in Spanish. I was given medication and drops to take. The best thing about all of this is that I didn’t have to pay anything even though I was taken to a private hospital! The train has insurance and an agreement with this hospital that covers sick passengers. WOW! I then had to ask about the buses and unfortunately they only have accident cover. So, if you are ever sick in Chile make sure you are using the train - no only kidding lol it’s not nice to be sick at all.
DRIVING
In Chile you must carry ID with you at all times. If you are a resident for example and the police stop you and ask for ID and you are unable to present this, your car is confiscated and you are fined.
Other rules for driving include:
You are not allowed to smoke while driving
You are not allowed to answer a cell phone while driving
If it is a new car, you must wear seatbelts at all times both in the back and front. If it is an old car then you don’t have to wear seatbelts in the back. The driver is responsible in private transport to make sure passengers wear seatbelts.
If you are in a colectivo and you as the passenger do not wear a seatbelt, you the passenger are fined not the driver.
7th September 2010
SAN DOMINIC BICENTENNIAL
Last night I went to the Bicentennial celebrations of San Dominic. It is a combined co – educational Primary and Secondary School. This schools facilities include a concrete area for students to play and pool and gymnasium. The school is divided into colours, black, and white, blue, red.
The night started off with traditional dancers doing cueca and other styles I couldn’t name. I would love to show you all this but it was too long to download to YouTube so I will have to show you when I get back.
The big thing at this school is cheerleading. Students had to plan their own choreography and music. I didn’t see any boys getting involved with this, only girls. It was divided into two parts. The first part of the cheerleading was for the Primary school students and they had to perform tricks and do a chant. The black team won.
The next part of the cheerleading was for the High school students who had to base their cheers on a theme. The White team won and some of the tricks they did were very impressive!
The last part of the show was the students had to perform a play and dance about something that was significant in their lives and at the end explain the reasons why they had chosen to perform this particular play. Both girls and boys participated in this. I don’t know who the winner of this was but I liked the ‘Grinch steals independence day’. I can’t say however that I understood the reason for all the superhereos except that maybe they were trying to help. I have included it here for all to see.
BUSES
The other thing that I learnt from this night is that the buses go all night, they don’t stop the only difference is that the time between buses may be longer. I found it interesting to note that I caught the bus at 11 at night and it was full enough to have people standing in the aisles. This was more packed than I had seen it during the day
6th September 2010
Llay Llay (This is a mapuche name that means wind, wind)
It was really interesting in Llay Llay talking with the AFS there. Most houses had flags either flying in the compounds of the house or from cars. When I asked about it they said that they have to fly the flag over the days of the National Holiday – this year that is a weekend Friday – Sunday. The police come around and check that each house is flying a flag. If they are not, they are fined. They couldn’t tell me the cost of the fine, except that it is expensive. The government is not a dictatorship like it used to be years ago, but they still like to control the nationalistic patriotism of the country.
LANGUAGE
I need to take the questionnaire with my family again.
I spent the weekend with a group of exchange students, 3 of whom had been here for one month. Granted one of them has 4 years of schooling, learning Spanish and is very good, but the others have had very little Spanish training before arriving. Compared to them, my Spanish is not as good. I find this disappointing, however they are in an environment that is solely Spanish e.g. they attend Spanish classes everyday and they have tutoring through the school for about an hour every week. I have contacted the President of the Chapter today here in Valparaiso to try to get into Spanish classes with juniors at the primary school. I have asked the schools but nothing has happened yet. Hopefully something will come of this
Some of the comparisons that I can make are: The exchange students were able to complete a conversation with their host family on the bus explaining when they were going to arrive at their destination and where to be picked up. I started the conversation in Spanish but couldn’t finish it. I had to tell my host father in English not to meet me because I knew how to catch the bus home.
No comments:
Post a Comment