1st August 2010
‘Jet lag is common when crossing more than five time zones resulting in insomnia, fatigue, malaise or nausea… ‘ (Lonely Planet) Well we have crossed eight time zones and it’s no wonder that Rebecca (a teacher from Taupo) and I are tired. The plane trip over was 11 and a half hours. I managed about 2 hours sleep so was awake for a long time before I got to go to sleep again.
I guess the most unexpected thing on nearing Chile was being able to see the Andes Mountains out of the plane window, at eye level, above the clouds as we approached. I felt a bit stupid later on during a conversation when I found out that they had ski fields nearby, because I thought the mountains were so steep that you wouldn’t be able to ski. I never thought that the snow would go most of the way down. I thought that it would probably sit at the top like most of our Mountains in NZ in summer. I also expected to land in the middle of a big city with sky rise buildings and an urban feel. Instead we were greeted by open brown fields, no cows though lol.
The airport had lots of signs in English and Spanish. Because of our reciprocal agreement with Chile we didn’t have to pay for an entry visa, but the Australians, Canadians, Mexicans? and Americans had to pay quite a bit of money to enter. The airport was in a state of repair after the earthquake and workmen were around fixing up booths, ceiling beams etc. I was a bit disappointed in myself at customs. Rebecca and I were standing in line trying to figure out the answers to questions they might ask. The lady asked me (something) numero which I had no idea what it meant. She looked at me going ‘huh’ and switched to English and that was my opportunity gone. What flight number….? Rebecca didn’t get asked any questions. In answer to one of the questions on my wall wisher site ‘do they carry guns’ – I didn’t see any.
Some things that fascinated us at the airport were:
1. Coke costs anywhere between $600 - $800 The $ sign means peso not our dollars J Later we found out the normal price of coke is about $500 – a single coin.
2. The arrival hall was filled with men mainly, holding signs for taxis. We got told not to use them unless they were the official ground transport as taxi’s have a habit of taking the long route and you could be charged twice or three times as much to get to your destination. I think people all over the world take advantage of foreigners.
One of the taxi men grabbed my bag at the airport as I was making my way through the crowd and lifted it – I started freaking out because I thought that he was going to carry it to his cab and kept saying no, no, no….. However, he had picked it up for me because it had fallen off the trolley and was rearranging it. He just smiled at me when he had finished and I realised what he had done. He was being friendly and helpful.
3. At the airport telephones a man had come around to refill the coin boxes. He had no security with him and no strap over the boxes. I could imagine someone walking past and lifting a box or two no problems (see photos)
We were met at the airport by AFS representatives who are doing a wonderful job. They gathered us and about 10 other students and took us by bus to an orientation camp.
The housing on the way into the city was very poor slums and I took some photos out of the bus window on the ride in. Hoping to attach them to this blog at some stage. In answer to one of the questions on my wall wisher site ‘are they wealthy?’ I am told that there is a big gap between the poor and the rich. My host brother says that he will take me and show me around sometime.
Hoping to go to sleep soon because it is now quarter to 10 at night and am tired. We had dinner at about 9pm and onces (afternoon dinner) at about 5pm. Getting used to the time difference and eating times is leaving our stomachs rumbling, and us phasing in and out of hitting brick walls of sleep deprivation till we get our next sugar rush.
3 positive thoughts
1. The heater in our room is working (Rebecca reckons this is worth all three lol)
2. The AFS representatives are making us feel more confident about the Chilean way of family life
3. The food has been great and they are friendly people J
No comments:
Post a Comment