Chile from the airplane


Slideshow: Chile from the plane - Slideshow

Monday, August 16, 2010

LA FERIA (9th August 2010)
Just looked at my blog and I can see that I have added this at the end of the blog but not written about it.
All the farmers come from around the country and bring their families. About 7000 workers / sellers etc attend every Monday and Wednesday. In the market one of the free services they offer are people to carry your bags. They wear green and yellow vests which say ‘Feria Marga Marga Ayudante’ People at the La Feria when they saw me taking photos of the produce wanted to be included in the photos also so you’ll see some of the sellers in the photos too. Italianos are zucchini. Chile has massive pumpkins on sale. I couldn’t not take a photo of one man cutting it into parts to sell. I tried to take as many signs as possible that included the fruit name in Spanish. Some will also tell you the brand such as hass so be prepared when viewing these. Some words that are either spelt the same or look the same are Brocoli - Coliflor Garlic is sold in heads e.g. ‘cabeza de ajos’ cloves are talked about as the teeth of the head ‘diente de ajo’. I am told that Lucumas and ovallinos are a typical fruit of Chile but I am not sure what they taste like. You’ll see some in the photos I’ve taken. Just like at home other produce is sold as well such as jams etc
When we left the marked men were waiting around the entrance to direct traffic in and out of the car park onto the busy street. They expect a tip for this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment