Chile from the airplane


Slideshow: Chile from the plane - Slideshow

Sunday, August 29, 2010

29th August
Spent this weekend with Diego and Daniela in SANTIAGO.

Daniela likes to run and keep fit so she ran / walked to a place called CERRO SAN CRISTBOL. Diego and I took the car. This is a hill that is kind of like Mt Eden / One Tree Point or even Parihaka at home. It has lots of walks going up and down the hill. There are a few exceptions to what we know. At the bottom you enter in through a gate. Pedestrians, cyclists are free, cars have to pay entry. Near the top is a church as well as an open air church. The hillside has seating and a covered in altar. If you were attending mass you would look down on the altar and out across Santiago. As you reach the summit there is an area that has candles. Here people make prayers to Mary and burn candles to send their prayers to the heaven. Once a prayer is answered, people will return and write thank you notes for their miracle and post them on the walls behind the candle burning area. At the top of this hill is a huge statue of Mary Mother of God labeled the immaculate conception.


We spent lunch at a place called BELLA VISTA. This is an area with lots of shops and eateries. It is quite touristy. At night they have live bands playing and it is always packed regardless of the night of the week. I saw some artwork that I liked and have taken some photos. They are made from a combination of stone and steel or iron welded together. I have also taken a photo of the menu we ate from.


When we returned from eating at Bella Vista we had to pay for our parking ticket and I couldn’t resist this Spanish talking car park ticket dispenser

No comments:

Post a Comment